Botox for bunny lines on the nose
- Bunny lines are wrinkles that appear on the bridge of the nose. The lines often become more prominent when smiling and can convey a false appearance of distaste.
- Bunny lines are also called nasal sidewall “scrunch lines”.
- The “bunny lines” are worsened by contraction of the transverse part of the Nasalis muscle.
- The Nasalis muscle is highlighted in the image below.
Treatment - what to expect
- The patient sits back on a bed with the backrest up.
- The area is cleaned.
- The skin overlying the muscles to be injected is marked out with a skin marker.
- The injections are placed high up on the nose, to the sides of the bridge of the nose and into the area of maximum wrinkling.
- The depth of the injection is placed very superficial, into the skin overlying the Nasalis muscle. The Botox then diffuses down into the Nasalis muscle.
- Care must be taken not to inject to laterally (to the sides) or inferiorly (down), to avoid affecting the Levator Labii Superioris Alaeque Nasi muscle that runs down the side of the nose to the upper lip.
- The muscles are injected.
- It takes about 30 seconds.
- Light pressure is applied to the area to prevent bruising.
- The skin marker marks are wiped off.
Botox dosage for Orbicularis Oris muscle injection (highlighted in the image above) for smokers lines:
females: 2-6 units per sidemales: 4-8 units side
Slight bruising can occur, but can be concealed with make-up. It resolves in a few days.The effect will kick in after 3-10 days and last between 2 and 7 months, depending on the Botox dosage used and the patients physiology. Some patients dissolve Botox faster than other patients.First time patients will sometimes be requested to return after 2-3 weeks for a check-up and top-up if required.Most patients have the injections repeated once or twice a year.